You are currently browsing the daily archive for September 17, 2008.

Our good friend Clyburn lets us know that

Climate change is no longer just an environmental issue. It’s now an issue of race, according to global warming activists and policy makers.

Why?

“Though far less responsible for climate change, African-Americans are significantly more vulnerable to its effects than non-Hispanic whites,” the report says. “Health, housing, economic well-being, culture, and social stability are harmed from such manifestations of climate change as storms, floods, and climate variability.

I suppose white people are all rich….

Clyburn spoke at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., to help launch the Commission to Engage African-Americans on Climate Change, a project of the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

The launch came on the heels of a separate report by the Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative (EJCC), which claims African-Americans are more vulnerable to the effects of climate change. EJCC describes itself as a “climate justice” advocacy group

Great! I am sure this is a beginning of some beautiful rhetoric – to be heard a lot.

Where for a long time Obama was givem 100% to win this, the latest projection is

After 100,000 simulated elections, Obama wins 47,408 times (including the 2,565 ties), and McCain wins 52,592 times. Obama receives (on average) 267 to McCain’s 271 electoral votes. If the election was held now, Obama should have a 47.4% probability of winning and McCain, a 52.6% probability of winning.

yesterday’s and older numbers
Posted Image

…..

Member Avatar

New York Times shows its cluelessness in wondering about that.

Imagine! The paper of Go-Go boots and daily attacks on Hillary is not quite clear.

I guess that internal poll forced Obama to look at us – and NY Times to write about it:

Mr. Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, is teaming stars from soap operas and “Sex and the City” with congresswomen in contested states. Mr. McCain, the Republican nominee, is sending tailored mailings on taxes to women who drive minivans, watch “The Biggest Loser” or “Lost” and know their way to the nearest big-box store.

And both campaigns are trying to highlight the issues they think will draw more support from women, with Mr. Obama emphasizing pay equity and abortion rights and Mr. McCain playing up his “maverick” image and raising questions of respect.

Ding!Ding!Ding!Ding! RESPECT – what a novelty!

The other piece of good news: they figured out that Roe is not the cure-all miracle

In part, the Obama campaign is emphasizing the Republican ticket’s opposition to abortion rights. The campaign ran a radio advertisement during the Republican convention calling the party’s platform on abortion “extreme” because it did not include an exception for rape or incest.

But that issue alone may not swing many women. In a Gallup poll in May, 14 percent of women said that a candidate for major office must share their view on abortion (about the same percentage as among men). For half the women in the poll, abortion was one issue among many affecting their decision

After lying that Obama tried to win over Clinton’s supportes we are told

In particular, they are competing for working-class white women, the group that could be especially pivotal in the states likely to decide the election.

and while Obama has all the glitz and the stars, NYT dismissively informs us

and trying to keep alive the anger about sexism that many women felt during Mr. Obama’s primary campaign against Mrs. Clinton.

Guess what guys? You did such a great job, McCain doesn’t have to lift a finger!

Women have voted in greater proportions than men for almost three decades — in 2004, nearly nine million more women voted than men, 67.3 million to 58.5 million. But the hard-fought candidacy of Mrs. Clinton and Mr. McCain’s selection of Ms. Palin as the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket have put new cultural and ideological elements more fully into play.

“It’s because there were these women who supported Hillary Clinton, some of whom so visibly said they might not support Obama or might sit it out or vote for John McCain,” said Susan Carroll, a senior scholar at the Center for American Women and Politics at Rutgers who has written extensively on the gender gap in voting. “That really called attention to the fact that women were going to be critically important.”

Does it mean we are getting woed finally by Obama? Why should they?

But, said Anita Dunn, a senior adviser: “We are not ceding women with children. We have a candidate whose wife is a working mom with two young children.”

Besides, he’ll just “use” Hillary again

To secure working-class women, the campaign sees Mrs. Clinton as its best surrogate, and has sent her to Florida, Nevada and Ohio, states she won in the primaries.

So, NYT article happily ends on a supremely dismissive note: who cares what you think?

Though there is little question that Ms. Palin’s bursting onto the scene has put pressure on the Obama campaign, it is unclear how much difference she will make. Geraldine A. Ferraro created a small bounce in the polls when Walter F. Mondale chose her as his running mate in 1984, making her the first woman on a major party ticket. But in the end, the nation went in a landslide for President Ronald Reagan.

“Ultimately in that election,” Ms. Carroll said, “people voted the top of the ticket.”

Well, from the paper that tols us there were WMDs in Iraq – we shall see.

Update

It seems Obama solved the reaching to women question –

visit the Runway to Change and buy a shirt!! Like maybe this one:

Member Avatar

Hot Air catches AP sanitizing Sebelius’s comments. The original version was

Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius accused Republicans on Tuesday of injecting race into the presidential campaign, arguing that they are using “code language” to convince Midwesterners that Democrat Barack Obama is different from them.

“Have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African-American?” Sebelius asked with sarcasm. “(Republicans) are not going to go lightly into the darkness.”

Sebelius was responding to a question from the audience at the Iowa City Public Library about the tenacity of Democrats and whether they would fight for victory as hard as Republicans in the closing weeks of the election.

Now the text reads:

“I think that the notion that, ‘By the way, have any of you noticed that Barack Obama is part African American?’ I think that is for a number of people difficult,” Sebelius said. “I think we need to talk about the fact that that is a real issue.”

The good news is, the media has realized that racism accusations are no longer a good thing for Obama.

Thank you John McCain for getting that one settled!

The bad news – I am old enough to remember when the media used to purge things for W – you know that guy still in the White House.

Now, the same people who brought us W and the war in Iraq are working just as hard to bring us Obama.

I wonder why that is?

Click here to add text

A Politico article on the panicky democrats reveals this Axelrod quote I missed

“We’re familiar with this,” Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe, told The New York Times a few days ago. “And I’m sure between now and Nov. 4 there will be another period of hand-wringing and bed-wetting. It comes with the territory.”

and to make it even sweeter, Donna picks on it

Donna Brazile, Al Gore’s campaign manager in 2000, is used to this “bed-wetting” phase of the campaign. “Democrats are notorious for whining when things go bad,” she said. “A presidential campaign is not for the fainthearted.”

Ah, good! She must still have diapers then from her previous victories….

Other interesting statements, not having to do with urinary functions:

If Obama loses in November, however, Shrum believes it is unlikely he will get a second chance.

“If we lose, people will say we never had better circumstances to win,” Shrum said. “It would be traumatic. A lot of people would say that we should have nominated Hillary. And she would be the overwhelming favorite to win the nomination in 2012.”

OK, I like this one. And when not into night bodyli functions, Brazile actually manages to criticize The One a little

She also worries that the Obama campaign is “insular.” She said: “It doesn’t feel like a family with all voices at the table are as diverse as the party itself. It still feels like a primary campaign with some additions. It doesn’t feel like all hands on deck.”

“People still have lingering doubts about Obama as to whether he can be trusted as commander in chief,” Brazile said. “I thought his campaign would have more meat on the bones by now. They did great job at the convention, but it was short-lived.”

She said that at times “Obama’s voice is strong and articulate, but people don’t feel attached to him, and they have got to feel attached to him. That would answer some racial aspects that simmer below the radar and sometimes percolate over the top.”

Oh, Donna! Stop the hate!

She has the blame packed and ready to go:

“but I still think he can pull this off.”

And if he doesn’t?

“If he doesn’t, then Obama didn’t lose,” she said. “The country just wasn’t ready.”

Hear that country? You don’t want to be called….unready, do you now?

Not Your Sweetie

September 2008
M T W T F S S
« Aug   Oct »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930